Location: Edmonton and Surrounding Areas
Community Preschool Education is a multi-disciplinary educational program for children who have diagnosed disabilities and attend community settings such as child care centers, kindergartens, and preschools in the Edmonton area. Children are given the opportunity to learn in an inclusive environment and a conventional classroom setting.
The program operates September to June each year. Children are eligible between 2 ½ and 6 years of age and have a severe disability as defined by the Program Unit Funding (PUF) criteria from Alberta Education.
The Special Education Branch of Alberta Education funds the CPE program; enabling us to provide children with the classroom support they need at no extra cost to parents.
- Each child's educational program is developed cooperatively by parents, the teacher, and program staff.
- CPE provides the teaching and therapist resources to help the child achieve the goals established in the Individual Program Plan (IPP).
- CPE staff work with the child's community program to determine extra staff requirements for each child.
- Teachers and therapists visit weekly or as required.
- CPE provides workshop and other information to families and program staff to help enrich the learning environment.
Supports and Services Provided
Each child's support needs are identified by the parents and CPE staff. We have certificated teachers, occupational therapists, physical therapists, speech language pathologists, and family consultants on staff. Additional services from psychologists and music therapists may be contracted as required.
For more information, families are encouraged to contact Community Preschool Education staff
Edmonton, AB T5V 1J4